Slide show: Yoga posesPreviousNext1 of 10 Yoga
Yoga is a mind-body practice that's considered one of many types of complementary and integrative health approaches. Yoga can help you relax and manage stress and anxiety.
Yoga often includes poses, also called postures, combined with controlled breathing exercises and meditation or relaxation. These are a series of movements designed to increase strength and flexibility.
If you have injuries or if you're concerned about exercising, consult with your health care provider before starting a yoga program.
Sept. 19, 2019
- Yoga. National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. https://nccih.nih.gov/health/yoga. Accessed June 21, 2019.
- AskMayoExpert. Yoga. Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2019.
- Seaward BL. Hatha yoga. In: Managing Stress: Principles and Strategies for Health and Well-Being. 9th ed. Jones & Bartlett Learning; 2018.
- The Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Center. Yoga: Your Home Practice Companion. DK Publishing; 2018.
- The Sivananda Yoga Center. The Sivananda Companion to Yoga. Simon & Schuster; 2000.